1978 Chateau Palmer Bordeaux Blend
Bordeaux Blend - 750ML

  • WA 90

$361.39

This product is
out of stock

$361.39

This product is
out of stock

Contact us Wine consultation

WA 90
Robert Parker's Wine Advocate - Robert Parker's Wine Advocate, January 1998
One of the Medocs most successful 1978s this wine has reached full maturity but it reveals no signs of an early demise. The color is a dark ruby/garnet with only slight amber at the edge. The nose offers up black truffle... One of the Medocs most successful 1978s this wine has reached full maturity but it reveals no signs of an early demise. The color is a dark ruby/garnet with only slight amber at the edge. The nose offers up black truffle cassis smoked herbs and meaty aromas. In the mouth there is a green pepper quality to the rich sweet fruit. This medium-bodied silky-textured wine is more spice-driven than most Palmers but attractive and mouthfilling. Anticipated maturity: Now-2006. Last tasted 10/97 - Robert Parker
Color & Type Red
Varietal Bordeaux Blend
Country France
Region Bordeaux
Sub-region Margaux
Vintage 1978

Label

Finesse and elegance, typical of the great wines of Margaux, are the trademarks of Chateau Palmer. The unusual combination of grape varieties for a classified Left Bank wine–as much Merlot as Cabernet Sauvignon and a small amount of Petit Verdot–gives Chateau Palmer a bouquet of extraordinary complexity, with fruit, flowers, and spice wrapped in a fleshy and generous structure. The subtle balance between aromatic richness and powerful, yet always restrained, tannins makes Palmer charming even when very young.

The grapes are fermented separately by variety and plot in 54 conical, stainless steel vats. The wine then ages 18 to 21 months in French oak barrels, less than 50% new.

Winery

Chateau Palmer

Chateau Palmer, classified a Third Growth Bordeaux, is in the commune of Cantenac, the heart of the Margaux appellation.

The Palmer vineyards, originally part of the larger estate of Chateau d’Issan, cover 66 hectares of gravelly soil on terraces overlooking the Garonne River. There are equal amounts of Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon (47% each). The remainder is Petit Verdot. From 2014 forward, the entire property has been farmed biodynamically.

Chateau Palmer is named after Major General Charles Palmer of the British Army, who bought the estate in 1814 from Marie de Gascq. A passionate man, he invested a great deal of time, energy and money to develop his property, purchasing land and buildings in the communes of Cantenac, Issan, and Margaux, and by the 1830s, his property covered 163 hectares, 82 hectares of which were vineyards. “Palmer's Claret” quickly gained popularity in London clubs and even found favor in the eyes of the future King George IV.

Charles sold the estate in 1843. The current owners, the Sichel and Mahler-Besse families, have been in place since 1938. Their focus throughout has been on authenticity, quality and consistency.