|Color & Type
||Brunello di Montalcino
The prestige of Brunello del Greppo dates back to the 19th Century with the story of Clemente Santi who began making wine using 100% Sangiovese. He passed on his wine knowledge to his nephew Ferruccio Biondi Santi, who, after the phyloxera in the second half of the 1800s, isolated a clone of Sangiovese that gave birth to wines of extraordinary longevity. In 1888, Ferruccio produced the first bottle of Brunello di Montalcino from this clone.
The entire estate includes 47 hectares of land, but only 25 hectares are dedicated to plantings of Sangiovese Grosso. The oldest vines, totaling 5 hectares, date from 1930-1970. Only the best grapes are destined to the production of Biondi Santi Brunello - those from vineyards at least ten years old are for the Annata, and those at least twenty-five years old for the Riserva. Marled soils with heavy stones have been always preferred by the family with southern, southeastern, eastern, northeastern and northern exposure. The yield per hectare is kept low at 3-5 tons per hectare. Current production rarely exceeds 80,000 bottles, including about 10,000 bottles of Riserva made only during exceptional harvests.
Franco Biondi Santi, oenologist, learned the subtle art of vinification from his father, and has continued to run the Greppo Estate, with its unequalled collection of Reserve bottles. He has increased the production of Brunello del Greppo from the 4 hectares cultivated until his father’s death, to the current 25.
The future continuity of Greppo is represented by Franco’s two children: Jacopo, with his vivid imagination in relation to wines (firmly convinced of the typical character of Brunello del Greppo), and Alessandra (involved in promoting the estate).