Chateau Grand-Puy-Lacoste, one of the oldest properties in the Medoc, has a long history dating back to the 16th century. It was under ownership of a single family for generations, until sold by the Lacoste family in 1920 and finally acquired by the Borie family in 1978.
The name Grand-Puy comes from the ancient term “puy” which means “hillock, small height”. True to its name, the vineyard of Grand-Puy-Lacoste sits on outcrops that rise to around 20 meters above sea level.
Long before the 1855 Classification, Chateau Grand-Puy-Lacoste’s reputation was recognized for quality. In 1776, Saint Guirons & Lacoste (its name at that time) was ranked fifth in a classification of Pauillac estates by the King's Intendant in Aquitaine, Dupre de Saint-Maur. The estate’s reputation for quality grew and the Bordeaux Classification made the “fifth growth” ranking official, placing it among the “elite” of Bordeaux wines.
Since 1978, Francois-Xavier Borie has guided Grand-Puy-Lacoste's fortunes. Major investments were made and restorations and renovations were undertaken. 58 hectares of the estate’s 90 hectares are planted with 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot and 5% Cabernet Franc.
Today, with the help of his eldest daughter, Emeline, Francois-Xavier Borie has raised Grand-Puy-Lacoste to the level of a "great Pauillac" and ensures that it maintains that status. Among Pauillac wines, Grand-Puy-Lacoste is considered "a great classic”, capable of aligning its consistent character with the spirit of each vintage.