La Mission Haut Brion
Created by the noble Lestonnac family in the early years of the 16th century, the vineyard of Chateau La Mission Haut-Brion owes its name and its reputation to a missionary order commonly known as the Lazarites, who held the property from 1682 until the French Revolution.
The property is situated just opposite that of Chateau Haut-Brion, in the Pessac-Leognan appellation of the Northern Graves region. The vineyard covers an area of 29 hectares of which 26.60 hectares are planted with 42.7% Merlot, 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 10.3% Cabernet Franc with an annual production of 6,000 to 7,000 cases. Over 3 hectares are devoted to white grape varieties (Semillon and Sauvignon Blanc).
In 1983, the Dillon family, already owners of Chateau Haut-Brion, added Chateau La Mission Haut-Brion to Domaine Clarence Dillon’s holdings. The new owners immediately set to work on an ambitious renovation program for the property, giving La Mission a new lease on life.
In the space of twenty-five years, the Dillon family, having fallen under the spell of this enchanting estate, successfully completed their impressive makeover of Chateau La Mission Haut-Brion so that for many years to come , it might continue to offer wine connoisseurs the world over a little glimpse of paradise in each bottle.