Chateau Gruaud Larose was established in the 18th century in the commune of Saint-Julien, when Joseph Stanislas Gruaud united three of his estates under the name of “Fonbedeau”, also called Gruaud. He left the property upon his death to Monsieur de Larose, and in 1781 the name of the new owner was added to that of its predecessor.
When Monsieur de Larose died, the estate was divided among his heirs and the property was split into separate estates. Desire Cordier bought the first two shares, and in 1935 bought the last remaining estate. The property was then reconstituted covering 137 hectares of which 68 are under vine. The company changed hands in 1982, 1993, and again in 1997, when the Merlaut family, already owners of several Medoc cru estates, bought Gruaud Larose.
Today, the Gruaud Larose vineyard is composed of the noble Bordeaux varieties, dominated by Cabernet Sauvignon (60%), Merlot (30%), Cabernet Franc (7%) and Petit Verdot (3%). The average age of the vines of Gruaud Larose is about forty years, although the most ancient of these are nearly 100 years old.