|Color & Type
Since the 17th Century, the grand vin of Chateau Margaux has been recognized as one of the greatest wines in the entire world. It owes its unique qualities to the genius of its terroir as well as to the passionate work of a succession of generations. It’s a remarkable wine that comes from a combination of characteristics that are only rarely found: finesse, elegance, complexity, density, intensity, length and freshness. Although its tannic concentration may be exceptional, it’s rare to detect astringency.
The great vintages are distinguished by their formidable ability to move us, while the lesser vintages give pleasure to wine enthusiasts. Chateau Margaux has an extraordinary ability to evolve with age, developing finesse, aromatic aromatic complexity, and a remarkable presence on the palate.
Chateau Margaux is a famous wine estate in the Medoc region, which along with Lafite, Latour and Haut Brion, was rated a First Growth in the original 1855 Bordeaux Classification. It covers 262 hectares, of which 82 hectares are planted to Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc, and 12 hectares to Sauvignon Blanc.
In the 12th century, the property was called “La Mothe de Margaux” (the Margaux mound) and by the 16th century, wine was being produced at the estate. In 1705, the London Gazette advertised the first auction of 230 barrels of “Margose” and the 1771 vintage was the first “claret” to appear in a Christie’s catalogue. Indeed one of America’s Founding Fathers and vintner in his own right, Thomas Jefferson, visited this great estate in the late 18th century and declared it to be a vineyard of “first quality”. When Bertrand Douat, Marquis de la Colonilla, acquired the estate, he built the chateau that is often nicknamed the “Versailles of the Medoc”, a rare example of the neo-palladian style in France.
Andre Mentzelopoulos purchased the property in 1977, investing heavily in the estate and a program of improvements. Since his death in 1980, the property has been run by his daughter Corinne who continued his work in restoring the chateau to its former glory.