|Color & Type
An English fortress built in the 13th century, Chateau Coutet became a wine producing estate in 1643. Previously owned by the Lur-Saluces family, it was once home to Chateau d’Yquem’s horse stables, transformed in the 19th century into a 110-meter long cellar, the longest in the appellation.
The estate has 38.5 hectares under vines which is primarily planted with Semillon and smaller amounts of Sauvignon Blanc and Muscadelle. The vines' deep roots extract elements from a limestone and clay-based soil, giving the grapes freshness, richness and strength. For this reason the wine carries the name "Coutet,” derived from the Gascon word for knife, to signify the fresh, lively and crisp palate that is the estate's signature style.
In 1787, former U.S. President Thomas Jefferson, then ambassador to France, celebrated Chateau Coutet as the best Sauternes from Barsac. In 1855, the estate was classified as a First Growth and recognized for its continued excellence. Today, as the oldest and largest Barsac estate, Chateau Coutet stays true to its tradition of distinction and quality. The finest Barsac-Sauternes is produced annually under the direction and management of the Baly family as well as the technical and commercial collaboration of the Baron Philippe de Rothschild S.A. company.