|Color & Type
Chateau Margaux is a famous wine estate in the Medoc region, which along with Lafite, Latour and Haut Brion, was rated a First Growth in the original 1855 Bordeaux Classification. It covers 262 hectares, of which 82 hectares are planted to Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc, and 12 hectares to Sauvignon Blanc.
In the 12th century, the property was called “La Mothe de Margaux” (the Margaux mound) and by the 16th century, wine was being produced at the estate. In 1705, the London Gazette advertised the first auction of 230 barrels of “Margose” and the 1771 vintage was the first “claret” to appear in a Christie’s catalogue. Indeed one of America’s Founding Fathers and vintner in his own right, Thomas Jefferson, visited this great estate in the late 18th century and declared it to be a vineyard of “first quality”. When Bertrand Douat, Marquis de la Colonilla, acquired the estate, he built the chateau that is often nicknamed the “Versailles of the Medoc”, a rare example of the neo-palladian style in France.
Andre Mentzelopoulos purchased the property in 1977, investing heavily in the estate and a program of improvements. Since his death in 1980, the property has been run by his daughter Corinne who continued his work in restoring the chateau to its former glory.