Il Marroneto is regarded as one of ten historic companies of Montalcino. Purchased in 1974 by Giuseppe Mori, a lawyer and father of the current owner of the company, Alessandro Mori, he decided to make Brunello, “a little for fun and a bit for passion”. Together with his two sons, they began their wine adventure using two small rooms in one of the estate’s historic buildings dating to 1246, previously used for drying chestnuts.
The vineyards of Il Marroneto extend on the north slope of the hill, about 350m high, in the immediate vicinity of the walls of the town of Montalcino. The first 3,000 meters of vineyard were planted in 1975, the rest in 1979 and finally 9,000 meters were planted in 1984.
Vineyard management is based on a traditional and minimalist philosophy, treating the vines as little as possible, avoiding excessive production, and following the practice of using natural grasses between vine rows. Great attention has been paid to the vineyard’s ecosystem, allowing the Sangiovese to have space to develop excellent roots. The result is a very elegant wine, rich in aromas, classic, and worthy of contemplation.