Bordeaux’s Chateau Troplong-Mondot is a large wine estate on the Right Bank of the Gironde River overlooking the village of Saint Emilion. Its 33-hectare vineyard is planted traditionally with Merlot, Cabernet Franc, and Cabernet Sauvignon.
The chateau dates back to 1745 and Troplong-Mondot was originally part of one sizeable domaine which included the vineyards of Chateau Pavie. The current estate was established in 1850 when Raymond-Theodore Troplong acquired Mondot, expanded the vineyard, and promoted its reputation. Following a trend of that period, his heir Edouard Troplong later added Mondot to his name and Troplong-Mondot was born.
The property passed into the hands of the Valette family at the beginning of the 20th century, with Christine Valette taking up management of the property in 1980. Since then, things quickly changed for the better. The quality of the wines improved and Chateau Troplong-Mondot became known as one of the top wines of the Right Bank.
Christine Valette has since passed away and today, the estate is managed by Xavier Pariente who has been involved with the estate since 2002. In 2006, it was awarded the Premier Grand Cru Classe B in the Saint Emilion classification.