2016 Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino Poggio Alle Mura
Sangiovese Grosso - 750ML
2016 Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino Poggio Alle Mura
  • Best
    seller
  • JS 96
  • WA 95
  • WS 95
  • JD 94

In Stock: 0 btls
Ships Immediately

Pre-Arrival: 24+ btls
ETA: Dec. 2021

In Stock: 0 btls
Ships Immediately

Pre-Arrival: 24+ btls
ETA: Dec. 2021

Shipping info Wine Storage

JS 96
jamessuckling.com, November 2020
Cool and perfumed 2016 Brunello with black cherries, flowers and crushed stones. Medium to full body with firm, chewy tannins, yet polished and very silky. Mineral and seaweed undertones. Just a hint of bitterness. Drink...   Cool and perfumed 2016 Brunello with black cherries, flowers and crushed stones. Medium to full body with firm, chewy tannins, yet polished and very silky. Mineral and seaweed undertones. Just a hint of bitterness. Drink after 2023.  
WA 95
Robert Parker's Wine Advocate, December 2020
(95+ points) This wine represents a selection of fruit from vineyards near the property's postcard-perfect Castello, and it's often the most representative of the new releases presented each year by Castello Banfi. From a...   (95+ points) This wine represents a selection of fruit from vineyards near the property's postcard-perfect Castello, and it's often the most representative of the new releases presented each year by Castello Banfi. From a classic and balanced vintage, the 2016 Brunello di Montalcino Poggio alle Mura shows beautiful depth and balance with dark fruit, cassis, dried cherry, licorice, balsam herb and earthy tones. The wine is symmetrical, tight and elegant with long, silky tannins. This is the full Banfi package.- ML  
WS 95
Wine Spectator, May 2021
There’s a lot going on in this bone-dry yet complex red, whose cherry, strawberry and plum fruit meshes with iron, tobacco, wild thyme and Mediterranean pine flavors, while the dusty tannins exert their presence on the...   There’s a lot going on in this bone-dry yet complex red, whose cherry, strawberry and plum fruit meshes with iron, tobacco, wild thyme and Mediterranean pine flavors, while the dusty tannins exert their presence on the lingering finish. Think hearty stews or wild boar ragù. Best from 2025 through 2043. — B.S.  
JD 94
jebdunnuck.com, March 2021
The 2016 Poggio alle Mura Brunello di Montalcino was aged for two years in 40% large French oak casks and 60% in French oak barriques. It offers concentrated aromatics of confected black cherry, vanilla, tobacco, and tar...   The 2016 Poggio alle Mura Brunello di Montalcino was aged for two years in 40% large French oak casks and 60% in French oak barriques. It offers concentrated aromatics of confected black cherry, vanilla, tobacco, and tar, and the palate is full of grounding structure and flavors of unsweetened black licorice, cherry pit, and fresh Mediterranean herbs. This will warrant time in the cellar to mature, over the next 15 to 20 years.  
Category Description
Color & Type Red
Varietal Sangiovese Grosso
Country Italy
Region Tuscany
Sub-region Brunello di Montalcino
Vintage 2016
Size 750ML

Label

The result of more than two decades of experimental research, Banfi’s Poggio alle Mura is a superb example of the best synthesis of terroir, selection and technological innovation. Estate-bottled from the splendid sun drenched vineyard adjacent to the Castello, this Brunello encompasses a full body and complexity unique to the genre.

Positioned on the hillside at about 700 feet, the vines were planted in 1992 on dedicated vineyards sloping down from the historic Poggio alle Mura Castle which crowns the estate.

Sangiovese, 100% varietal but with various clones, is macerated for 12-13 days. Alcoholic fermentation takes place in temperature-controlled, hybrid stainless steel & wood tanks. About 90% of the wine is aged for 2 years in French oak barriques, manufactured according to Banfi’s specifications, and the remaining 10% in Slavonian oak casks. Before release, the wine is bottle-aged for an additional 12 months.

Winery

Castello Banfi

Castello Banfi, a family-owned wine estate in the Tuscany region, was founded in 1978 by Italian-American brothers, John and Harry Mariani.

The Banfi territory encompasses 7,100 acres of land in Montalcino, of which about one third is planted with Sangiovese, Moscadello and other notable varieties on extremely rich and uniform soils of clay and calcium.

Banfi Piedmont was founded with the acquisition of the historic Bruzzone winery. The holdings there extend between the towns of Novi Ligure and Acqui over an area of 124 acres of which 114 are under vine.

The Banfi vineyards in Bolgheri, located south of Castagneto Carducci, give life to the prized Aska, bringing together intensity, roundness and structure.

Banfi also manages 100 acres of specialized vineyard in Chianti which bequeaths wines that bring together structure, elegance, and typical Tuscan personality.