1998 Angelus Bordeaux Blend
Bordeaux Blend - 750ML
  • WA 98
  • VN 95
  • WS 93
  • VN 92
  • JR 90

Reg: $475.00

$425.00

In Stock: 0 btls
Ships Immediately

Pre-Arrival: 2 btls
ETA: Jan. 2020

Reg: $475.00

$425.00

In Stock: 0 btls
Ships Immediately

Pre-Arrival: 2 btls
ETA: Jan. 2020

Shipping info Storage info

WA 98
Robert Parker's Wine Advocate, June 2018
The 1998 Angélus, a blend of 40% Cabernet Franc and 60% Merlot, is deep garnet colored with a touch of brick. The nose is completely...WOW! It has an incredible array of smoked meats, incense, cigar box and dusty earth... The 1998 Angélus, a blend of 40% Cabernet Franc and 60% Merlot, is deep garnet colored with a touch of brick. The nose is completely...WOW! It has an incredible array of smoked meats, incense, cigar box and dusty earth notions over a core of baked cherries, dried mulberries, preserved plums and dried roses with wafts of lavender, menthol and new leather. The palate is medium to full-bodied, rich, intense and packed with black fruit preserves accented by complex savory and earth-inspired flavors, supported by wonderful freshness, textured by plush tannins and finishing with fantastic tension. This still has loads of life—25+ more years! - Lisa Perrotti-Brown
VN 95
Vinous, May 2018
The 1998 Angelus has always been an impressive Saint-Émilion and at 20-years of age that has not changed in recent years. Showing the first signs of ageing on the rim, it has a glorious bouquet that is midway between... The 1998 Angelus has always been an impressive Saint-Émilion and at 20-years of age that has not changed in recent years. Showing the first signs of ageing on the rim, it has a glorious bouquet that is midway between primary and secondary aromas: cranberry, crushed strawberry and warm leather on an antique armchair; embers and a light marine tincture. The palate is medium-bodied with rounded tannin, a mixture of red and black fruit mixed with clove, cedar and a sprinkling of powdered dark chocolate. There remains a firm backbone to this Angelus: focused and precise. It is a wine to either drink now or age over the next 15 years. The choice is yours. Tasted at the château. -- Neal Martin
WS 93
Wine Spectator, January 2009
Intense aromas of coffee bean, chocolate and currant bush follow through to a full body, with soft and velvety tannins and a long and rich finish. The toasted oak still dominates the palate a bit, but it's rich and... Intense aromas of coffee bean, chocolate and currant bush follow through to a full body, with soft and velvety tannins and a long and rich finish. The toasted oak still dominates the palate a bit, but it's rich and concentrated. Give it time still.—'88/'98 Bordeaux blind retrospective (2008). Best after 2010. – JS
VN 92
Vinous, June 2001
Deep ruby-red. Very complex aromas of plum, redcurrant, iron, mocha, cedar, milk chocolate and woodsmoke. Silky-sweet and voluptuous; very suave texture given shape by harmonious, ripe acids. Flavors are deep and complex... Deep ruby-red. Very complex aromas of plum, redcurrant, iron, mocha, cedar, milk chocolate and woodsmoke. Silky-sweet and voluptuous; very suave texture given shape by harmonious, ripe acids. Flavors are deep and complex. The thoroughly ripe tannins hit the palate quite late, allowing the strong fruit, mineral, chocolate and spice flavors to build. Today this shows more obvious balance and finesse than the massive young 2000.
JR 90
Jancis Robinson's Purple Pages, October 2011
Magnum. 40% Cabernet Franc, 60% Merlot. Some almost-orange at the rim. Fully mature opulent meaty Merlot on the nose. Hint of tea leaves. Very appetising. A little dry on the finish. Dried leaves. Long and neat. But... Magnum. 40% Cabernet Franc, 60% Merlot. Some almost-orange at the rim. Fully mature opulent meaty Merlot on the nose. Hint of tea leaves. Very appetising. A little dry on the finish. Dried leaves. Long and neat. But drying. Real lift and refreshment. 17/20
Color & Type Red
Varietal Bordeaux Blend
Country France
Region Bordeaux
Sub-region St Emilion
Vintage 1998