As early as 1365, grapes have been grown on the property now known as Smith-Haut-Lafitte. Originally owned by the noble Bosq family, the estate was purchased in the 18th century by Scotsman George Smith. Its present name was taken from Smith and the Pessac region’s gravel plateau known as Lafitte.
In 1842, Mr. Duffour-Dubergier, mayor of Bordeaux and an enthusiastic winegrower, inherited Chateau Smith-Haut-Lafitte from his mother and brought the wine up to great growth status. The property changed hands again in 1958 when it was purchased by the Louis Eschenauer Company. After the Eschenaueur period came to an end, a great deal of money has been invested in the estate, particularly on the construction of a superb underground cellar holding over 1,000 barrels.
In 1990, Daniel Cathiard fell in love with the property and joined the list of prestigious owners, firmly intending to further enhance Smith-Haut-Lafitte's tradition of excellence. He combined the most modern winemaking techniques with age-old artisanal methods, including organic compost, small wooden vats, and lees-aging. Famous around the world for its wonderfully elegant red wine and the sophisticated bouquet of its white wine, Smith-Haut-Lafitte undoubtedly deserves the special care that is lavished on it.