The 2018 Almaviva Almaviva is a truly exceptional wine that showcases the best of Chilean winemaking. With its deep, dark red color and intense aromas, this wine is a true delight for the senses. The nose is filled with notes of blackcurrant, tobacco, and herbs, along with a hint of mussel shell and moss, adding a unique and intriguing touch.
On the palate, the Almaviva 2018 is full-bodied and chewy, with a solid structure and fine-textured tannins that give it a long and satisfying finish. The flavors of blackcurrant and tobacco continue to shine, accompanied by spicy notes of grilled coffee beans and a touch of cool blueberry fruit. This complexity and balance is a testament to the winemaker's skill and the high-quality grapes used in the blend.
Speaking of the blend, the Almaviva 2018 is made from a proprietary blend of varietals, with 72% Cabernet Sauvignon taking the lead, followed by 19% Carmenère, 6% Cabernet Franc, and 3% Petit Verdot. Each varietal brings its own unique characteristics to the wine, resulting in a harmonious and well-crafted blend.
The wine was aged for 18 months in French oak barrels, with 73% of them being new and the remaining 27% second use. This aging process adds depth and complexity to the wine, allowing it to develop its full potential.
Renowned wine critics have praised the 2018 Almaviva Almaviva, with Robert Parker's Wine Advocate giving it a score of 96, James Suckling awarding it 98 points, Decanter rating it 96, and Wine Spectator giving it a score of 93. These high scores are a testament to the wine's exceptional quality and its ability to impress even the most discerning palates.
In conclusion, the 2018 Almaviva Almaviva is a wine that truly stands out. With its complex aromas, rich flavors, and impeccable balance, it is a wine that is sure to please both wine enthusiasts and connoisseurs alike. Whether enjoyed now or aged for a few more years, this wine is a true gem from the Maipo Valley in Chile.